Pear Custard Pie

Today I have another recipe for you from my friend Dorothy. Her Pear pie is just so yummy and fall is the perfect time to make it. The pears from this pie are from her yard and so this really is a Sweet Dreams Pear Pie.
I'm going to give you the half recipe for her pastry. She makes double of this is her big food processor but my bowl is smaller and so this makes enough for two pies.


Pastry
2 1/2 cups of all purpose flour
2 teaspoons of brown sugar
1 teaspoon of salt
1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
1/2 pound of lard
In a one cup measuring cup
Beat one farm fresh egg
add 1 tablespoon of vinegar
and fill to the 1 cup line with ice cold water.
DON'T USE ALL THE LIQUID
Stir this together really well, and pour half out. I know this seems wasteful but how do you measure half an egg? This is how I did it for half a recipe of pastry and you can double it using the full pound of lard, 5 cups of flour and all the liquid if you like.
In the food processor, put all the dry ingredients. Add the cut up lard, pulse this until the big pieces are all gone. Add the liquid quickly while the machine is going. Stop it as soon as it starts to come together. Dump it out and form it into a ball and knead it a few times until it has no more loose flour bits.
Divide my recipe into two pieces and put one in plastic wrap for another pie in a day or two or put the one piece in the freezer.
On a floured surface, gently roll it out. Turn it a quarter every few rolls to keep it even.


Roll it up onto a rolling pin, using a bench scraper to peel it easily off the counter.


Put it into your deep dish pie plate.


Do a simple flute around the edges or push with the tines of a fork to make a decorative edge.

Peel and quarter the pears and fit them into the pie plate in a circular fashion.
I used 4 pears.


Custard for the Pear Pie
3/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup flour
1/3 cup melted butter
3 eggs
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
Combine these ingredients in a blender or food processor.
Pour the custard over the pears.
Bake at 350 for an hour . ..I did mine on convection for an hour . .. so you may need a bit longer than an hour for regular baking. I might even bake it a little hotter at 375.

Next time you are treated to an invitation to dinner, offer to bring the pie.
You'll want to stop on the way to pick up some fresh vanilla ice cream to add a scoop on top of the pie. Who knows . .. you just might be invited back.
Have a wonderful day my friends, we're off to order up a 383 hot rod motor for Miss Ella today. That girl's getting a bit spoiled.

Comments

  1. Thanks for bringing that delicious pie last night! We did so enjoy it and I forgot??? to send the ice cream home.
    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  2. BbbbrROOOM to Miss Ella for getting her new motor. At USD? What a bargain!

    That pie looks delicious, and I just love a custard anything, so it is definitely going to get made, with a therometer in the oven this time, just to be sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another delicious recipe to try...yummy! I love pears and they are plentiful in the stores right now.
    Oh yes I am back from holidays, had a fantastic time in Ottawa and Montreal and really...I stayed away from computers.
    I have been catching up on your posts which I so enjoyed. I missed reading them.
    I'm off to do 'mounds of laundry'...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just choose the menu for supper tomorrow when the kids come. Jason's favorite is pumpkin pie, so I will do one pumpkin and one pear. Variety is so fun....that way you get two pieces:)Then Saturday is pumpkin cheese cake and chocolate cake. Everyone will get a sampling of their favorite this weekend. I will sample all...because I'm the cook AND the mom. Thanks for the recipe! Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pear pie and coffee sounds perfect for an Australian supper...
    Supper in Australia is treats in the evening after 'tea' which is their evening meal!
    I just learned that from Carolanne this morning....

    I have been wondering about Miss Ella...so the girl is still being 'dressed'. I hope her motor will suit her just fine!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would never have thought to use pears in a pie, but you make it look very yummy!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You do such a marvelous job of "explaining" the baking steps with your photos!

    This pie looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yummm ... I was thinking pear crisp when I saw the pears out the other day, but that pie sure does look tasty. And, as always, the photos are magazine quality ... you're amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I better invite some friends for dessert, so I can try this yummy looking pie. Although, I'm sure I could eat it all by myself (I just cut one little slice at a time...it doesn't seem so bad that way!). Thanks for sharing...great pic's too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh that pie looks soo good. Makes me want to run out and get some pears!

    ReplyDelete
  11. just wondering about the baking instructions? looks yummy. gotta try it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. When I look back over my attempts over the last 29 years to try new recipes, I dont think I have ever tried one that didnt have pictures. Guess I am a visual learner. Have you ever thought of writing a cook book, with everything illustrated like you do? My mom just brought pears down from Summerland, and when I read your pie post, I thought, "Hey I can do that" Thanks for another easy to follow recipe.
    Lois

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm thinking you're going to be one of the cooks in heaven...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey that's my Mom's pastry recipe!! Except we fill the liquid to 3/4 cup and the water should be ice-cold. I get a lot of compliments for my pies - I'll have to try this one. It sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Lovella
    I just looked at that recipe closely and noticed that you halved it. oops!sorry. My recipe is the very same except not halved - I use 5 cups flour etc and still only 3/4 cup liquid. I always make the full recipe and freeze the dough - it's great to have it on hand whenever you want to make a pie. I freeze uncooked pies - especially apple this time of year. Then when unexpected company comes pop a pie in the oven. It smells so good while baking!

    It's a great recipe - the brown sugar makes it really unique. I get a flaky pie crust every time!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you!