rhubarb bar

For this recipe you'll need 6 cups of cut up rhubarb. You'll want to chop it into at least 1/2 chop.
If you have a food processor, you'll put your flour cut up butter and salt, otherwise use a pastry blender. (and put a food processor on your wish list)


You will need two eggs that have been separated.

Let the dough chill in the fridge while you chop up the rhubarb. I wrap mine in plastic wrap and give it a bit of a roll to help chill it faster.




Add the flour and sugar to the rhubarb in the measuring cup.



Once the dough is chilled put it on a well floured counter top. This dough is very forgiving because it is so rich. That richness also makes it easier to work with.






Roll the very thin dough onto your rolling pin to transfer it to a 10 X 15 inch cookie sheet. I have a dark cookie sheet and that helps make the bar nice and evenly browned.







Add the rhubarb into the dough lined pan.







Add the top crust and roll the two edges together and press them with a fork so that the filling stay in. Give the tart a poke with a fork so that the steam can come out and your crust will stay crispy.







Beat the two remaining egg whites (don't add any sugar to them) and just spread it out so that all the crust has been swept with them.








This is what it looks like when it comes out of the oven. After this you'll make a thin icing and drizzle it on while the bar is still warm.










Let the bar cool completely so that the filling can set up. I took out a piece while it was still warm so that I could show you the finished bar.



Rhubarb Bar
Crust
2 1/2 cups of flour
1 tsp. salt
1 cup of real butter
Blend these together until you have a coarse crumb.
Add to this
2 egg yolks and enough milk to make 2/3 of a cup.
Stir this in and roll up into a ball, flatten it down, wrap it in plastic wrap . .
Give it a bit of a roll and let it chill in the fridge.
Filling.
6 cups of cut up rhubarb
1 3/4 cup of sugar
1/2 cup of flour
Mix the filling together.
Take half of the dough and roll it out to fit a 10 X 15 inch jelly roll pan.
Add the filling into the crust lined pan.
Roll out the other half and cover and seal and prick the crust.
Beat the 2 egg whites and spread this over the crust.
Bake this in a preheated oven. I do 400 F. or 375 in the convection oven.
Bake this for about 35 minutes until it is nicely browned.
While it is still warm mix 1 cup of icing sugar and 3 tbsp of warm water and a 1/2 tsp. of vanilla.
Drizzle this on top of the warm bar.
Well, I'm off to finish my Saturday chores, and then I think I'll mosey over to the kids house and bring them 1/4 of the bar each. Terry and I get half. (because we can)






Comments

  1. Hey, forget the kids, mosey over to MY house with the stuff!
    Bernie loves rhubarb, I think Sunday afternoon I'll be making the recipe for him.
    Assuming, of course, that you don't make it over here with a nice serving of yours....

    ReplyDelete
  2. . . ah Jill, I'd love nothing more than to pop over with a whole pan of rhubarb bar for the both of you. We could sit outside and enjoy the Jasmine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Um...could you bring it by the library? I keep looking at the pictures and I'm getting really hungry. Maybe *just this once* it would be OK to eat at ref desk!
    I'm killing time by surfing for vintage hats, and found two that would look great on you. I'll send you the links later!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummy! Rhubarb is my dad's favorite food. His sister has always been famous for her rhubarb recipes --- and she has many of them! Thanks for sharing yours. It looks simply delicious. You are an awesome cook!

    :) LaTeaDah

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really....I am drooling..and the rhubarb is fresh out of the garden right? Mine is just peeking out of the ground..so not fair!
    Thanks Lovella for the recipe, frozen rhubarb will do for now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. betty my rhubarb is fresh. If yours is peeking out it won't be long. Frozen rhubarb should do the trick, it all gets cooked anyways.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yee haw! FINALLY off the desk, heading to the store for rhubarb.
    There had better be some fresh rhubarb in the produce aisle or there's gonna be trouble....BIG trouble!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmmm...looks divine Lovella. I could use a piece of that right now as I am making a pot of tea but don't have anything quite as yummy to go with it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That looks good enough to eat! Only thing is, I don't like rhubarb. :) My friend made me a rhubarb and apple pie and made sure she had plenty of apples in it so it was edible for me. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  10. You know Lovella, why you are still so beautifully slim is life's biggest mystery to me! I am making your No-Knead bread and it better turn out as good as it looked on yours and Jill's blog. Keep cookin' and invitin', we like it alot!
    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks incredibly delicious! I love the picture you took of the rhubarb ... I'm going to have to go and see if my little plant out back is anywhere near as gorgeous as yours.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Out my way, our rhubarb is not nearly ready but I will definately be going back into your archives for this one!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't even like rhubarb and I thought that first pic made it look scrumptious. So odd.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have never had rubarb. But your bars look delicious. Thanks for sharing your recipe, I may give it a try.

    Your little friend is so cute. Isn't it fun to be around children.

    Your blog is so inspiring and beautiful. I read it every day!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you!